This program will discuss big picture issues relating to the coronavirus epidemic and jury trials. The program will examine restarting in-person jury trials, online jury trials, online grand juries, in-person jury selection under social distancing guidelines, jury selection in an online jury trial, considerations for attorneys and witnesses, and juror perceptions in an online trial. Our presenter is Betty Dunkum, the CEO of Victory Trial Consulting (www.victorytrial.com). Ms. Dunkum, an honors graduate of Harvard Law School, is a jury consultant advisor to the NYU School of Law Civil Jury Project, which is working with thought leaders across the country to develop ways jury trials need to change in light of the coronavirus epidemic.
Participants will learn:
• Big picture issues relating to the coronavirus epidemic and jury trials
• Key provisions from court orders regarding reopening courts
• Issues going forward with in-person trials: (a) need jurors willing to serve while protecting those at risk; (b) jury selection with social distancing; and (c) issues related to restarting civil trials
• Online Jury Trials: Can it be done? Considerations for jurors, attorneys, and witnesses. getting cases ready for trial in a virtual environment. Juror attention span in an online environment. Dynamics of online jury deliberations.
• Jury selection in an online jury trial: How can it be done?
• Research regarding juror perceptions in an online trial: Are there winners and losers when things go online?
• Alternatives to a jury trial: What can be done if, for example, you have a client who is elderly or who — for financial or other reasons — really needs a quick trial date.
Speaker: Betty Dunkum, CEO, Victory Trial Consulting, LLC, West Palm Beach, FL
Note: This material qualifies for self-study credit only. Pursuant to Regulation 15.04.5, a lawyer may receive up to six hours of self-study credit in a reporting year. Self-study programs do not qualify for ethics, elimination of bias credit or Kansas credit.
|MoLAP Information (1.2 MB)||Available after Purchase|
|Course Material (869.4 KB)||Available after Purchase|
Betty L. Dunkum is the Chief Executive Officer of Victory Trial Consulting, LLC (www.victorytrial.com), a full-service national trial consulting firm providing assistance to attorneys in case evaluation, jury research, trial strategy, thematic development, jury selection, trial communication, and witness evaluation. Among its services, Victory Trial Consulting provides consultation for trial and jury selection and conducts case analysis, witness preparation, focus groups, and mock trials.
Ms. Dunkum advises litigants on major lawsuits around the country. She received her J.D. degree from Harvard Law School and her bachelor’s degree, from Williams College. She has over twenty-five years of experience in complex litigation, including federal and state civil, commercial, employment, construction, personal injury, medical malpractice, eminent domain, constitutional and religious liberties, criminal, antitrust, copyright, and trademark litigation. She has been the lead trial consultant on a number of cases of regional and national significance. Her clients have over $1 billion in jury verdicts and settlements during trial.
Ms. Dunkum is currently serving as a jury consultant advisor to the New York University School of Law Civil Jury Project, which is working with thought leaders around the country to develop ways jury trials need to change.
Click HERE to review the Cancellation Policy.
Please wait ...