This presentation will be an instructional CLE focused on trust accounting procedures and real practice scenarios. Participants will be provided with a self-audit for lawyer trust accounting, with guidance for building simple, routine steps to reduce mistakes and OCDC inquiries, and to protect client and attorney funds.
What you will learn:
• Account set-up; Lawyer Trust Account Foundation regulations
• Receipts, deposits and disbursements with client trust accounts
• Fiduciary concepts. (Whose money is it?)
• Record keeping requirements. (Rule 4-1.15)
• 21st Century problems and solutions (credit cards, electronic banking, accounting software, faster check processing)
• Security, supervision, delegation; reconciliation
• Rule changes and case analyses
Speakers: Kelly Dillon CFE, Investigative Examiner, Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel, Jefferson City and Sam S. Phillips, Deputy Chief Disciplinary Counsel, Jefferson City
|Trust Accounting 101 (407.8 KB)||Available after Purchase|
|MOLAP Information (210.1 KB)||Available after Purchase|
|Important Information for Attorneys Seeking Kansas Credit (102.8 KB)||Available after Purchase|
Kelly Dillon is an investigative examiner-paralegal for the Missouri Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel where her duties include oversight of the Trust Account Overdraft Notification Program, conducting financial examinations and other investigations. Kelly is a Certified Fraud Examiner and has been with the Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel since 2001.
Sam Phillips is Deputy Chief Counsel for the Missouri Office of Chief Disciplinary Counsel. Sam has served on the Board of Directors of the National Organization of Bar Counsel and was that Board’s liaison to the ABA’s Lawyer Competence Committee.
In addition to attorney discipline and private practice, he has served as Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney and been the Executive Trust Officer for a regional bank.
He also chaired The Missouri Bar’s Law Practice Management Committee.
Thu, Feb 23, 2023 - 12:00pm to 01:42pm CST
Please wait ...